Sad News - Luigi Santa Maria

Waruno Mahdi mahdi at FHI-BERLIN.MPG.DE
Mon Aug 25 09:11:29 UTC 2008

Dear Colleagues,

I have just recieved a sad message, that Pak Luigi Santa Maria has
passed away:

>  I am writing this communication just in case you have not heard
>  that Luigi Santa Maria, emeritus Professor of Indonesian Studies
>  at the Instituto Universitario Orientale at Naples, died peacefully
>  at his home in Rome on August 21, 2008, after a long illness, at
>  the age of 89. Luigi was suffering from Parkinson's disease.
>  He was survived by Fausta, his faithful wife of 58 years, two sons
>  and two daughters, a grandson and four granddaughters.

Professor Santa Maria earned great respect for his pathbreaking work
on Indonesian-Malay lexicography and etymology, and in particular for
such major works as :

+ I prestiti Portoghesi nel Malese-Indonesiano. Napoli: Istituto
              Orientale (1967).

+ (with C.D. Grijns & J.W. de Vries) European loan-words in Indonesian.
              Leiden: KITLV (1983)

+ I Prestiti Cinesi in Malese-Indonesiano. Roma: Centro di Lessicografia
              Asiatica dell'ISMEO (1986).

+ (with Maria Citro) Dizzionario Indonesiano-Italiano. Roma: IsIAO (1998).

Pak Luigi Santa Maria will never be forgotten by researchers of Bahasa
Indonesia.

Salam to all,
Waruno

Post to SEALANG-L:  send mail to sealang-l at listserv.linguistlist.org