FWD: Audio files for Tai languages

Yuphaphann Hoonchamlong yuphapha at HAWAII.EDU
Thu Jun 26 06:37:25 UTC 2008

Dear Sealang-ers,
I am forwarding this request from Jon Fernquest (posted to TCL list).
Actually I also forwarded his earlier post/query about Tai  languages but it was during "sealang-l" migration to its new home, so the messages did not make it.
Please also send your reply to his e-mail address directly (in addition to posting on the list) since he is not yet on this list.

Date: Tue, 24 Jun 2008 19:01:34 +0700
From: "Fernquest Jon" <fernquestj at Bangkokpost.co.th>
Subject: [Tlc] [Tic] Audio files for Tai languages
To: <tlc at lists.ucr.edu>
Dear List Members;
I'd like to ask if anyone knows of any recordings of Tai languages,
especially Tai Yuan [Lanna] and Tai Lue,
either formal language lesson type recording or informal.
Purnell's 1962 "A Colourful Colloquial" for Chiang Mai dialect
comes immediately to mind. Was there ever a tape made for this
book?
The main reason for audio, being to prevent the fossilization of bad tone
habits in speech, often associated with self-learners who focus on reading
texts. (like myself)
Also cheap MP3 music players provide the opportunity to put audio
before text in self-taught language learning nowadays.
I've been planning to record informal sentences in Tai Yuan [Chiang Rai] and
Tai Lue, since these are the languages used around my home
in Chiang Rai and Mae Sai, and cobble them together
into a little informal podcast to publish on the web.
I thought I'd inquire what was out there already first.
Thank you.
Sincerely,
Jon Fernquest
Bangkok Post, Education