STC42- 2nd Circular

Migliazza, Brian Brian_Migliazza at SIL.ORG
Wed Jul 15 17:02:42 UTC 2009

Second Circular - 42nd ICSTLL. 2-4 November 2009. Chiangmai, Thailand

The 42st International Conference on Sino-Tibetan Languages and Linguistics

Second Circular

International Conferences on Sino-Tibetan Languages and Linguistics: ICSTLL 42

Second notice and call for abstracts and expressions of interest (issued 14/7/09)

The 42nd International Conferences on Sino-Tibetan Languages and Linguistics will be held at Payap University, Chiang Mai, Thailand.  The conference will be held from November 2-4, 2009.  Detailed information concerning the conference can be found at the website: : http://ic.payap.ac.th/sino-tibetan-conference/index.php

Acceptance of abstracts

Due to some delays in getting the circulars distributed; the deadline for the acceptance of abstracts has been changed to August 15.  We will be attempting to notify you of acceptance as soon as possible (our goal is Sept. 1).   We will be forwarding abstracts to external examiners as soon as we receive them.

Papers are welcome on all aspects of languages and linguistics in the Sino-Tibetan area.  Abstracts should be on one page in English, or bilingual including English.  The abstract should clearly state the name, affiliation institution and email address of each submitter.  Please use plain text, Microsoft Word or pdf format if possible.

·         Email submissions of abstracts should be sent to Larin Adams at icstll42 at gmail.com

Postal submissions may be sent to Larin Adams at the Payap University address at the bottom of this notice.

Notification of acceptance will be sent via email.

Registration and payment

Registration fees will be approximately 2500 Baht (≈70$ US) for international scholars, 1500 Baht (≈45$ US) for Thai residents and 1000 Baht (≈30$ US) for students.  Payment options will be made available on the website.

Meals

Lunch and coffee breaks are provided as part of the conference registration fees.  Breakfast meals are usually provided at most hotels and you will need to arrange your own evening meal.  Meals are easily obtained and quite affordable in the Night Bazaar area.  On the final evening we will be providing transportation to a special Thai 'khan tok' dinner.  Those who wish to participate can register at the conference. The cost for that dinner will be 300 baht.

Accommodation

Chiang Mai is a popular tourist destination and there are many hotels and guest houses.  You are welcome to make your own arrangements, but for your convenience, we have arranged for a block of rooms to be held for conference participants in the Royal Lanna Hotel.  This hotel is in the center of the popular night bazaar. We will be picking participants up at this hotel for daily transport to the conference.

Rooms can be reserved by contacting the hotel (phone or email) and telling them you are with the "Sino-Tibetan conference at Payap".  This should get you the following rates:

   Standard room (double bed/twin beds).......................1000 baht

   Deluxe room (double bed/twin beds).........................1400 baht

These prices do include breakfast in the morning.  You can check online for additional details about the rooms.

Royal Lanna Hotel contact information:

  website: http://www.royallannahotel.info/main.html

  email: chuleekorna at yahoo.com

  phone: +66 53818773  (in country use 053818773)

Additional housing information can be found on the conference website.

There are two important housing considerations.  One is that Nov-2-4 is a major Thai holiday 'Loy Kratong' which may affect the availability and price of rooms in the Night Bazaar area.   This holiday is celebrated quite exuberantly here in Chiang Mai and should provide an extra cultural bonus.

The second consideration is that the conference itself is being held on the Payap campus.  This is about a 20-30 minute bus ride from the hotel.  We will be providing a morning bus ride from the Night Bazaar area to the campus and an evening return.  If you choose to make your own housing accommodations you may want to choose accommodations near the Night Bazaar area or you will also need to find local transportation to the conference each day.

Travel

Travel into Chiang Mai is quite convenient.  Taxis are available at the airport and the Royal Lanna in the Night Bazaar is a known destination.  Taxi fees should be about 150 baht.

Visas

Thailand has generous tourist visa regulations but you should do your own checking to make sure.   Most people can get a 30 to 60 tourist visa on arrival depending on what country they are from.

________________________________

Website: http://ic.payap.ac.th/sino-tibetan-conference/index.php
Please visit the website from time to time for updates

Conference Language:

The language of conference presentations will be English. If you are unable to present in English, please make arrangements for English-language handouts and/or interpretation into English.

Mailing Address:

Payap University

Linguistics Department

Chiang Mai, 50000, Thailand