Reminder: Deadline for NWAV ASIA-PACIFIC

James Stanford stanfo23 at GMAIL.COM
Mon Jul 12 17:35:59 UTC 2010

Dear Colleagues,
This is just a reminder that the abstract deadline for NWAV ASIA-PACIFIC is
August 8th. Thank you very much for your consideration. We hope to see you
in India! Our original call for papers is copied below. Apologies for
multiple postings. Since this is the very first meeting of this conference
series, we're trying to notify as many people as possible.

NWAV ASIA-PACIFIC (NWAV-AP)
New Ways of Analyzing Language Variation and Change: Asia-Pacific Region
February 23-26, 2011
University of Delhi, India

Keynote Speaker:
William Labov
University of Pennsylvania

Conference Coordinator: Shobha Satyanath
Department of Linguistics, University of Delhi

Website for abstracts:
http://www.linguiss.com/nwav-asia/openconf/openconf.php
Conference website: http://nwavap.du.ac.in/
 <http://www.linguiss.com/nwav-asia/openconf/openconf.php>
The annual North American meeting of New Ways of Analyzing Variation (NWAV)
has a long and influential history of bringing together scholars researching
language variation and change. Likewise, European conference series have
provided opportunities for scholars working on this paradigm in Europe
(e.g., ICLaVE). We believe that it is now time to develop a related
conference series focused on the Asia-Pacific region. After all, the
Asia-Pacific region includes some of the world's most sociolinguistically
complex societies, many of which are being studied by local and
international sociolinguists. We therefore invite you to join us in
inaugurating a new regional conference, NWAV ASIA-PACIFIC (NWAV-AP), to
serve as an 'Asian branch' of NWAV.

The first meeting of NWAV ASIA-PACIFIC will be held at the University of
Delhi, India, February 23-26, 2011. We are happy to announce that William
Labov has kindly agreed to be the keynote speaker. The research that this
conference endeavors to bring together will be firmly based on empirical
data with an emphasis on quantitative analysis of variation and change. We
welcome abstract submissions for 20-minute conference talks on a wide range
of topics in language variation and change across the Asia-Pacific region,
including speech communities, multilingualism, urbanization and migration,
sociophonetics, individual variation and style-shifting in complex speech
communities, language contact, variation in minority languages, dialect
variation and change, dialect contact, variation in acquisition, language
change across the lifespan, perceptual dialectology, and other related
topics such as technological resources for sociolinguistic research.

Considering the diverse opportunities and research challenges in the
ever-increasing, multilingual spaces of Asia, we believe that such a forum
is not only highly relevant but urgently needed. We're taking this first
step in the series with the hope that others will join us in helping to make
this conference a regular event at other Asian-Pacific locations in the
future. We hope to see you in India for this inaugural meeting of NWAV
ASIA-PACIFIC!

- One-page abstracts should be submitted online by August 8, 2010 at
http://www.linguiss.com/nwav-asia/openconf/openconf.php

Notifications about acceptance will be sent in early September.

For any questions, please contact the NWAV ASIA-PACIFIC planning committee:
1. Coordinator: Shobha Satyanath, University of Delhi, Delhi, India:
ssatyanath.du at gmail.com
2. James Stanford, Dartmouth College: James.N.Stanford at Dartmouth.edu
3. Victoria Rau, National Chung Cheng University, Taiwan:
Victoria.Rau at wheaton.edu, lngrau at ccu.edu.tw
4. Webmaster: Sarah Lee, Rice University: sarah.lee at rice.edu

Post to SEALANG-L:  send mail to sealang-l at listserv.linguistlist.org

Subscribe: send the message "subscribe sealang-l Your Name" to listserv at listserv.linguistlist.org