Nusantara language vitality - updates requested!

Doug Cooper doug.cooper.thailand at GMAIL.COM
Wed Mar 23 16:42:54 UTC 2011

[Repost from An-lang - note in particular the AA languages listed here:
http://sites.google.com/site/nusantaralanguagevitality/languages-of-malaysia
Please respond to:  Karl & Kristen Anderbeck <anderbeck at gmail.com>]

Hi friends and colleagues,

A major implication of globalization is that the majority of world languages
are vulnerable to decline or extinction.  For the first time, an ambitious
attempt is being made to document the vitality level of every language in the
world.  This will be displayed in the upcoming edition (17) of The Ethnologue,
Languages of the World.  A modified framework for reporting vitality (the
Expanded Graded Intergenerational Disruption Scale or EGIDS) will be used.

But publications like Ethnologue are only as good as the information in them.
  Until now, collection of language vitality information in Ethnologue has
been inconsistent.

A colleague and I have set up a temporary website, focused on the 800+
languages of Indonesia and Malaysia, where much language shift is occurring.
We need your input!  If you are aware of the language vitality of one or more
languages here, please share your feedback.  The process is quite
straightforward and unless you have information on many languages, it will not
take much time.  Go to http://sites.google.com/site/nusantaralanguagevitality
to contribute.

If you have questions or problems, please email NusantaraEGIDS at sil.org.

We have an initial deadline of April 7, so feedback before then would be most
appreciated.  I'll post a summary of our results on this list after that date.

Thank you,
Karl Anderbeck

P.S. We have some fascinating data already.  Our best data so far concern
Sulawesi.  Take a look!

P.P.S. Please pass on this email to others who may have information.  We hope
to post this request also on the Papuan Languages list and Masyarakat
Linguistik Indonesia.  Any other suggestions?

Post to SEALANG-L:  send mail to sealang-l at listserv.linguistlist.org