Canceled: ICAAL 5 (Bangkok Nov 9-11)

Doug Cooper doug.cooper.thailand at GMAIL.COM
Thu Oct 27 15:08:47 UTC 2011

Dear Colleagues:

The ICAAL 5 Organizing Committee regrets that the International Conference
on Austroasiatic Linguistics, scheduled for Nov 9-11 at Mahidol University, has
been canceled.

    Relocation, which had seemed to be an option, is not possible.  Mahidol's
Salaya campus is now closed until late November and other venues in Bangkok
are in imminent danger of flooding as well, with the possibility (esp. in the
case
of a levee break) of 50 - 100 cm. across the entire city.

    Once the situation has normalized, we will invite discussion on how best to
proceed.  Participants in the “Handbook of Mon-Khmer Languages” project will
be contacted soon to discuss their contributions.  All who submitted abstracts
for the meeting will be invited to submit full papers for consideration by the
Mon-Khmer Studies Journal.

    Our hearts go out to the people of Thailand, and to our many colleagues
in and around Bangkok whose homes are already flooded, in this difficult time.
Thank you for your support and understanding.

   Sophana Srichampa (Mahidol), and
   Paul Sidwell and Doug Cooper (CRCL),
   on behalf of the Organising Committee, ICAAL 5
   http://icaal.org

Post to SEALANG-L:  send mail to sealang-l at listserv.linguistlist.org