Foreign Language Study Request for Meta-Analysis

Matt Borneman mborneman at SWA-CONSULTING.COM
Thu Aug 2 13:29:44 UTC 2012

Dear Colleagues,

     I am writing to ask for your assistance in locating studies for a meta-analysis I am conducting for the Special Operations Forces Language Office (SOFLO) on how foreign language training duration impacts skill level retention. The goal of this study is to determine the relationships between the length of the initial foreign language learning/training and learners’ proficiency levels at various retention intervals following the conclusion of the initial learning/training (e.g., immediately afterwards, several weeks later, 1 year later, etc.).

     I am specifically interested in adult populations (military, corporate samples); however, am also including k-12 and college samples. Additionally, we are not limiting our search to any specific foreign language. Do you know of any studies that provide this type of information using these kinds of samples? I am looking for published or unpublished studies, technical reports, conference presentations/posters, briefings and theses/dissertations related to this specific topic. Any assistance you can provide in directing me to these types of studies is greatly appreciated. Please note that your work will be cited in the list of included studies, providing an additional recognition of your primary research.

     If you do have (or know of) something that might be relevant, please email (mborneman at swa-consulting.com) or call me at 919-835-1562 ext. 7010. Thank you for your help!

Sincerely,

Matt Borneman, Ph.D.
--