Philip N. Jenner, 1921-2013

Doug Cooper doug.cooper.thailand at GMAIL.COM
Tue Jan 8 18:40:40 UTC 2013

I am sorry to report that Philip N. Jenner, Professor Emeritus of
the University of Hawai'i, has passed away at the age of 91.

   A veteran of World War II, Phil worked under General MacArthur
in Japan following the war, making the most of the opportunity to
explore the region that became his life-long passion.  A bit younger
than Haas and Gedney, and a contemporary of Jacob and Shorto, Phil
Jenner was perhaps our last surviving link to the formative years
of modern Southeast Asian linguistics.

   When I first met Phil he had just reached his 80's; long-retired,
but still in full possession of the curiosity and enthusiasm of youth.
Generous, courteous, studious, and industrious, his knowledge of and
publication on Khmer epigraphy -- from the earliest pre-Angkor stones
to the final Middle Khmer inscriptions -- was sui generis; it brought
a constant, and always welcome, stream of visitors and correspondence
from researchers around the world.

   Phil spent his last years doing what he loved: spending time with his
children, studying, learning, and, as always, finding new challenges.
He finished his final project -- translating Goris's 1954 Old Balinese
lexicon, from the Dutch -- less than two months ago.  A scholar and
a gentleman, a colleague and a friend, Phil Jenner will be missed and
remembered.

Post to SEALANG-L:  send mail to sealang-l at listserv.linguistlist.org