New Mandela contest: would/could/should be loans from SEA to English

Doug Cooper doug.cooper.thailand at GMAIL.COM
Fri Sep 5 11:54:12 UTC 2014

[via TLC]

Dear friends,

Today New Mandala launched a competition to find interesting,
unexpected and flavourful Southeast Asian words that should be used in
other languages. Words that can take on a life of their own like amok
or ya ba.

I know you all have impressive knowledge of languages in Southeast
Asia, so let’'s see what we can do to get some of those words you know
exposed to a wider audience. You never know how far they could go.

All of the details about how to enter are available here:
http://asiapacific.anu.edu.au/newmandala/2014/09/05/competition-speaking-of-southeast-asia/

We have a book prize up for grabs, but if a word really takes off, and
starts being used in other languages, then I guess the real outcome
might be immortality.

Please tell your friends. It would be terrific if we got suggestions
from all across the Southeast Asian region, from Merauke to Maungdaw,
and everywhere in between. I have sent this message to a wide circle,
but please do feel free to forward it along to your favourite linguists.

Best wishes to all,
Nich

**

Dr Nicholas Farrelly
New Mandala
School of International, Political and Strategic Studies
College of Asia and the Pacific
The Australian National University
Acton ACT 0200
Australia