[Sealang-l] Fwd: New monograph from Jack Bilmes "THE STRUCTURE OF MEANING IN TALK: EXPLORATIONS IN CATEGORY ANALYSIS. VOLUME I: CO-CATEGORIZATION, CONTRAST, AND HIERARCHY"

Yuphaphann Hoonchamlong yuphapha at hawaii.edu
Tue Sep 15 00:02:31 UTC 2015

FYI.
---------- Forwarded message ----------
From: Jack Bilmes <bilmes at hawaii.edu>
Date: Mon, Sep 14, 2015 at 1:06 PM
Subject: new monograph

This is to announce a new monograph.

THE STRUCTURE OF MEANING IN TALK: EXPLORATIONS IN CATEGORY ANALYSIS.  VOLUME
I: CO-CATEGORIZATION, CONTRAST, AND HIERARCHY.

Jack Bilmes, University of Hawaii

This monograph represents most of the work that I have so far done in
*occasioned
semantics*, which is an attempt to analyze meaning structures in recorded,
transcribed talk in a systematic way. As presently conceived, occasioned
semantics deals with co- categorization and contrast, hierarchy
(inclusiveness and subsumption), and scaling in actual talk. My work on
categorical hierarchy, co-categorization, and contrast, as represented in
taxonomic form, is rather more advanced than my work on scaling, so this
volume is devoted to taxonomic relations. (I am planning eventually to
produce a second volume, devoted to scaling.)  Following Harvey Sacks
approach to category analysis, I attend to how categories are invoked,
constructed, and used on particular occasions, with constant attention to
the here-and-now, sequential and indexical properties of the talk. So, the
taxonomies (and, eventually, scales) that I deal with are *occasioned
taxonomies* (and *occasioned scales*).

*Rather than publish this monograph, I have, for various reasons, decided
to make it generally available as a pdf, with embedded sound and video
recordings.  It can be found at **<**http://www2.hawaii.edu/~bilmes
<http://www2.hawaii.edu/~bilmes>**>.**  (Video and sound will be available
only if document is opened with Adobe Acrobat.)*

*Contents*

Introduction

1.   Formulation and occasioned semantics

2.   Taxonomic structure—Inclusion, co-categorization, and contrast

3.   Extended MCA (Membership Categorization Analysis)

4.   Beyond MCA

5.   Application of taxonomic technique to an example from Sacks

6.   Contrast and hierarchy

7.   Formulation structure in ethnographic context

8.   Closing thoughts

Appendix 1: Negotiating the meaning of a gesture

Appendix 2: “The baby cried” reconsidered

Appendix 3: Invoking context: Schegloff’s criteria and their implications
for ethnography

Appendix 4: Federal Trade Commission footnote discussion