[Sealang-l] Fwd: Invitation to join the remembrance ceremony for Michael Vickery

Doug Cooper doug.cooper.thailand at gmail.com
Wed Nov 15 03:14:11 UTC 2017

Dear Friends, colleagues and students of Professor Michael Vickery,

In the month of April 2018, there will be a ceremony for Prof. Michael Vickery
in my Lisu village, Chiang Rai province, Thailand. The ceremony is called
“ancestor worship”. It is our Lisu tradition to show respect to our ancestors,
and it is the only month of the year when people can clean and build
appropriate graves for them. The picture attached is Professor Michael
Vickery’s grave in my Lisu family’s field. We will serve a Lisu lunch at the
ceremony site, and you are welcome to bring anything to offer or celebrate
with Prof. Vickery.

However, if any of you would like to write a message to him, please send it to
me until March 20, 2018. All the messages that are sent to me will be
compiled, printed and displayed near his grave.  In your message, please
include your relationship with him –colleague, friend, student and your
current position. You are welcome to write in your local language, especially
Khmer. Prof. Vickery would be very happy to have his favourite Khmer
inscription displayed near his grave.

The ceremony is for one day. I will inform the exact date as soon as my Lisu
family has determined the holy day for the ceremony. (Probably after Songkran
festival –Thai New Year)

Thank you so much for your time to consider this ceremony, and I look forward
to seeing you.

Best regards,

Mimi Saeju (foster daughter)
Kathleen Vickery (sister)