[Sealang-l] Mro and other languages of the Chittagong Hill Tracts

Brookes, Tim brookes at champlain.edu
Sun Sep 24 14:23:43 UTC 2017

Dear friends and colleagues:
I recognize that this is not quite within the areas of language interest of
everyone in this group, but I thought in any case I'd pass on a piece of
good news to those interested in the support and revival of minority and
indigenous languages.
My friend, colleague and collaborator Maung Nyeu, an ethic Marma from the
Chittagong Hill Tracts of Bangladesh, has just published the latest in a
series of children's books in the languages and scripts of the Hill Tracts.
These books are based on stories the children themselves collected from
their elders and retold in the mother-tongue schools Maung helped to
create. (Some of these books have been edited, illustrated, and/or funded
with help from The Endangered Alphabets Project and the students of the
Publishing in the 21st Century class at Champlain College.)
The latest is in Mro, one of the most endangered languages/cultures of the
region. Here is what Maung posted on Facebook:

Happy to share publication of our latest children's book "The Frog Sings”
in Mro and English. This culturally relevant book is based on local
Indigenous stories and designed specifically to teach anti-bullying,
perspective taking, empathy, and respect for different abilities (aka
multiple intelligences). It also provides opportunities for children to
learn in their mother tongue Mro, one of the most endangered languages in
the world, and in their literacy. Most importantly, it is designed to
foster a love of learning. This book would not have been possible without
amazing authoring by Beth and beautiful illustrations and layout design by
Miriam, and much help and support from Myra, Tim, PoOk, Jasmin, Christopher
and many other wonderful colleagues. Signing first book photo credit: Alex.
Will be available to order soon via https://ourgoldenhour.org/.

Thanks for your interest.
Tim Brookes
The Endangered Alphabets Project