[Sealang-l] Fwd: 2019: Year of Indigenous Languages

Brookes, Tim brookes at champlain.edu
Sun Apr 22 20:21:46 UTC 2018

Dear friends and colleagues:

The UN has adopted 2019 as the World Year of Indigenous Languages, and I’d
like to do whatever I can to support this resolution.

I’m the founder of the Endangered Alphabets Project, a nonprofit
organization I created to support endangered, minority and indigenous
cultures by preserving their writing systems.

To this end, I’ve spent the last nine years making hand-carved artwork
involving sayings, proverbs, spiritual texts, and individual words and
letters; exhibiting this artwork and speaking on the importance of cultural
preservation; and partnering with revival organizations to create and
publish educational materials and games in endangered alphabets.

To the point: *My hope is to set up exhibitions and talks in the United
States in January-May, Australia and New Zealand in July-August, and Europe
in September-October 2019.*

If you’re interested in what an exhibition and/or appearance might involve,
please check out http://visits.endangeredalphabets.com/. You can also see
me talking about one of the Alphabets carvings at https://vimeo
.com/240496339?ref=em-share.

I’ve taken the Endangered Alphabets to the Smithsonian Institution, Yale,
Harvard, Cambridge University, and other colleges, universities, galleries,
museums and libraries throughout the United States, Canada and Europe. They
have also been a feature of conferences on endangered languages in Canada,
the United States, and the United Kingdom.

I hope 2019 will be a watershed year in the way people all over the world
think of indigenous peoples and their rights to their own cultures and
languages. I’m right there with Article 13 of the United Nations
Declaration on the Rights of Indigenous Peoples:

“Indigenous peoples have the right to revitalize, use, develop and transmit
to future generations their histories, languages, oral traditions,
philosophies, writing systems and literatures, and to designate and retain
their own names for communities, places and persons.”

Please don’t hesitate to contact me with questions and suggestions.

All the best,

Tim Brookes

Founder, the Endangered Alphabets Project

A federal 501c3 non-profit corporation

www.endangeredalphabets.com

P.S. I’m sorry if this message appears in your Inbox from more than one
source!