[Sealang-l] Call for Proposals: 6th International Conference on Language Documentation & Conservation (ICLDC)

National Foreign Language Resource Center nflrc at hawaii.edu
Thu May 3 01:19:06 UTC 2018

(Apologies for cross-posting)

*6th International Conference on Language Documentation &
Conservation:Connecting Communities, Languages & TechnologyFebruary
28-March 3, 2019Hawai‘i Imin International Conference CenterUniversity of
Hawai‘i at Manoa Honolulu, Hawai‘i USAhttp://icldc6.icldc-hawaii.org
<http://icldc6.icldc-hawaii.org/>Over the past two decades endangered
language documentation and conservation has (re)emerged as a distinct
subfield of linguistics with its own methodology and theoretical
underpinnings. This reemergence has occurred in parallel with a dramatic
technological evolution which has put advanced computing tools in the hands
of language documenters and those striving to reclaim and maintain
endangered languages. Moreover, technology is also changing traditional
user roles, blurring the lines between linguist, speaker, and activist by
providing increased access to information. Digital tools have the power to
greatly accelerate the language work, but the digital realm also brings new
challenges for endangered languages, which sometimes struggle to thrive in
a digitally-mediated world.At ICLDC 2019 we propose to initiate a dialogue
which will lead to improved connections between communities, languages, and
technologies. We specifically aim to bring together three groups which have
not always worked closely together, namely: linguists, language
communities, and technology developers.  The conference program will
feature Keynote talks, Talk Story and Workshop sessions, papers, and
posters. New for 2019 is the Technology Showcase, a networking opportunity
which will bring together technology developers and language community
members. An optional Hilo Field Study (on the Big Island of Hawaiʻi) to
visit Hawaiian language revitalization programs in action will take place
immediately after the conference (March 4-5, 2019). The 3rd Workshop on
Computational Methods for Endangered Languages (ComputEL-3) will take place
in Honolulu immediately preceding the conference (February 26-27).For ICLDC
6, we have two separate Calls for Proposals, which are now officially open:
- Workshops and Talk Story sessions
<https://icldc6.weebly.com/cfp-workshops.html> - deadline June 30, 2018-
General sessions (Papers, Posters, Technology Showcase)
<https://icldc6.weebly.com/cfp-general.html> - deadline August 31, 2018For
details about each Call for Proposals type and its requirements and
timelines, please see the Call for Proposals section
<https://icldc6.weebly.com/call-for-proposals.html> of our conference
website. We look forward to your submissions and participation at the
Conference on Language Documentation & Conservation (ICLDC)Phone:
+1-808-956-9424Email: icldc at hawaii.edu
<icldc at hawaii.edu>Website: http://icldc6.icldc-hawaii.org
<http://icldc6.icldc-hawaii.org>ICLDC Facebook
page: http://www.facebook.com/ICLDC/ <http://www.facebook.com/ICLDC/>ICLDC