Consonants

John Dunn jad at lang.gla.ac.uk
Wed Apr 5 17:30:22 UTC 1995

>With regard to the discussion on consonant clusters - just a thought.
>Does anyone know of any, e.g., Georgian borrowings in Russian with six-, seven-
>or eight-segment clusters?  If there are any, to what extent might they
>be said to be "assimilated"?

I know of no such Georgian words, but there is a fairly common Armenian
surname which appears in Russian in the form Mkrtcjan [readers are asked to
imagine a hacek on the 'c'].  This could, I imagine, follow a 'single
letter' preposition, e.g. 'Ja razgovarival s Mkrtcjanom', though I don't
think I have encountered an example.  How 'assimilated' it is might depend
on how many people you know with that particular surname.

John Dunn