Another reason why we sometimes HAVE to reply to the list

David Burrous burrous at csn.org
Sat Apr 8 20:30:23 UTC 1995

>What is a SLIP account?
When I contacted Colorado SuperNet to set up my Internet account they asked
me if I wanted an "interactive" account or a "slip" account.  An
"interactive" account is one where your computer is connected to a main
frame computer at some central place.  Your computer does not "do
anything".  You are simply using the keyboard on your computer to tell the
"unix" computer what you want it to do.  When you want to read your e.mail,
for example,  you have to use their program, 'pine' for example, and read
your mail while you're connected.

But, with a slip account, your computer becomes a "node".  To read my
e.mail, for example, I connect to Colorado Super Net and download my mail
into my Macintosh.  I then disconnect from CSN (thereby saving myself some
money) and I read my e.mail at my leisure.  I can reply to any of the
messages that I want to and "queue" those messages.  When all my mail is
read to send, I re-connect to CSN and send all the messages at once.

I had an "interactive" account for awhile and found it cumbersome to learn
all the appropriate unix commands.  My SLIP account is very user friendly
because it looks just like my regular Macintosh program.

In order to use a slip account I had to install a program in my computer
called "Versaterm AdminSlip".  This is the software to hook up my computer
to Colorado Super Net.  I then installed  Eudora for my e.mail, and several
other programs:NewsWatcher, Netscape, Telnet, Turbogopher, and Fetch.   I
believe I paid about $85 for the software and then I had a consultant
install it for me and inservice me, ($100).

All of these programs are very easy to use. They work and look just like
other software programs for the Mac.

I hope this is of some help.

Sincerely yours,

David E. Burrous                         * phone:       (303) 465-1144
Standley Lake Sr. High School | voice mail: (303) 982-3221
9300 West 104th Avenue          (  ) fax:           (303) 465-1403
Westminster, CO  80021,  USA   |  | e.mail:  burrous at csn.net
"Karaulila Ulya ulyey, nochyu usnula Ulya u ul'ya."