PS on hiring in Slavic-linguistics

Loren A. Billings BILLINGS at PUCC.BITNET
Sun Apr 9 23:38:35 UTC 1995

I should add that I did not mean to imply that only native Slavs are
competitive aplicants in Slavic linguistics.  Of the three (a Bosnian Serb,
a Russian, and a Pole) only one actually landed a Slavic position (Dziwirek).
I should add the John Bailyn (whose degree at Cornell is in the linguistics
"field"--Cornell also has a Slavic-linguistics "field", both effectively in
that School's Dept. of Mdn. Langs. and Linguistics) was hired for the Slavic-
ling position at SUNY-Stony Brook. All, however, are generative syntacticians!

Does this mean that to be a successful applicant one should devote more
attention to generative linguistics?  Perhaps.  And this will, in the end,
entail doing less historical Slavic philology.  As a person who has HAD to do
both the former and the latter I have found both to be very useful in my work.

I wouldn't mind hearing your thoughts on this. --Loren (billings at princeton.edu)