supply, demand, and Slavic studies

Bill Derbyshire wwd at u.washington.edu
Mon Apr 10 00:09:41 UTC 1995

        I in turn agree in great part with David's statements about the
demand for Slavic linguists. The doctoral students at UW include those
training in both literature and linguistics. No doubt the field has to
take a long and hard look at the job prospects for its graduates. I do
note that some of our graduate programs over recent years have dropped
their commitment to Slavic linguistics and either abolished or diminished
greatly their offerings in linguistics (and not always for lack of students).
Such an action of course means that there are just that many less
positions to be filled in the future.
        Nevertheless, the crisis at UW merits our attention. And by all
means let open discussions on where the field is going take place at the
annual meetings.

On Sun, 9 Apr 1995, David J Birnbaum wrote:
> I think it represents an issue that our profession needs
> to discuss more openly. My reservations have nothing to do with the
> crisis in Washington, and concern, rather, general employment trends in
> our profession.

        As for Ernie's comment on the combining of German and Slavic, I find
this disturbing. A similar push has been under way for quite some time at
Rutgers. With my departure from the active scene I do not know how that
situation will resolve itself. I am generally very much opposed to the
merger of language disciplines, much less the combining of language and
literature programs with area programs. Unfortunately, I suppose that it
is ultimately a question of survival.

                                        Bill Derbyshire