1995 Summer Research Laboratory on Rusia & Eastern Europe

Ernest Scatton ESCATTON at ALBNYVMS.BITNET
Wed Apr 12 19:48:31 UTC 1995

Steve:
  If coming over for two days is an option, I'd propose that you do the
clitic paper in my Bulgarian seminar on Tuesday. Then we'll hae the
more general one in the Wednesday time slot we've set aside. What would
(scrap the "what would") Let's do the negation paper then. OK?

  The problem here may be that the two senior linguists in the department
aren't inclined to take initiatives. And Dan, the junior one, has  the energy
but he just got here and has got to wrry about publishing. He set up a
really terrific departmental colloquium a couple of weeks ago, with about
8 papers, all but two by grad students. A Saturday afternoon, with a dinner
at my place afterwards. Seemed llike a pretty radical departure. I'd go
nuts at a place like this...nuts in the good sense. Visiting speakers,
colloquia, working papers. Real fertile ground, lots of potential. Just
consider the location: close to you guys, close to Chicago, close to
Pitt, Michigan, Penn State.

Best wishes,
Ernie