Mikhail Lemkhin's "MISSING FRAMES"

Andrey Borisovich Ustinov austinov at leland.stanford.edu
Thu Apr 13 20:23:29 UTC 1995

It is my great pleasure to present here a press release of Mikhail
Lemkhin's album of photo portraits "MISSING FRAMES." I believe there is no
need to explain to those who studies or belongs to Russian culture who
Mikhail Lemkhin is. His portraits were presented at several photo
exhibitions and were published in many newspapers, magazines and books,
including the academic ones. The latest to date portrait by Lemkhin I
believe was reproduced in "Temy i variatsii / Themes and Variations" (vol.
8 of "Stanford Slavic Studies" series.)

Being a great partisan of Mikhail Lemkhin's art I feel it is necessary to
emphasize that his portraits played an extremely important role in
establishing contemporary Russian culture in the West. They created a
visual embodiment not only for the names of those photographed by Lemkhin,
but rather allowed viewers to establish a certain correspondence between
the creators and their ouevre. In this respect Mikhail Lemkhin's pictures
are indeed "psychological portraits". This collection circumscribed by the
portraits of two outstanding representatives of Russian intelligentsia --
Andrei Dmitrievich Sakharov and Dmitrii Sergeevich Likhachev, -- is a
formidable collection of people, who, as Olga Andreyev Carlisle writes in
her introduction, "are united by the courage to confront themselves and
their time -- Anna Akhmatova's 'true twentieth century'."

Andrey Ustinov
austinov at leland.stanford.edu

P.S. I am sorry I have to resend it to the list, but my original formatting
got scrambled and made some parts unreadable. It is fixed now. I apologize
for any inconvenience and this necessary repetition.
A.U.

MISSING FRAMES

Photo portraits of Russian, European and American cultural figures by
MIKHAIL LEMKHIN

Introduction by Olga Andreyev Carlisle

HERMITAGE PUBLISHERS, 72 pp., 61 duotone

To order send check or money order to:
Mikhail Lemkhin
1811 38 Ave.,
San Francisco, CA 94122
$24.00+2.50 for shipping and handling (CA residents add sales tax)

FROM THE REVIEWS:

"I don't know what Lemkhin does with his subjects to bring to the surface
that something which is hidden away, maybe even from themselves. But that
hidden thing is what concerns Lemkhin the most as an artist." -Nina
Katerli, author

"[Lemkhin] penetrates one's innermost feelings." -Yakov Sklianski, cameraman

"The photos of Mikhail Lemkhin are harsh, sometimes even cruel...they
create an impression of extreme tension." -La Pensee Russe (Russkaia Mysl')

"The photos are remarkably expressive. He is a true artist." -Boris
Khazanov, author

"The portrait of Joseph Brodsky is extraordinarily great. You have
discovered what Joseph hides himself - his kindness. That is art." -Mark
Popovsky, author

"This is an exhibition of noble faces. They all look very much... like
people. All of them are characterized by independent behavior, which itself
shapes the human features. Their look is one of a Homo independent."
-Samuel Lurie, author

"These portraits tell the life stories of my friends..." -Alexander
Kushner, poet

"Mikhail Lemkhin's exhibition is, for me, more than a show of images, but
rather a presence of people... One meets the characters, living and gone,
who are equally as real as the people walking around the exhibit hall. It
isn't nostalgia you feel, but the pleasure of meeting them..." -Yakov
Gordin, author

"This is a portrait of my whole generation." Boris Strugatsky, novelist

"Thank you so much! It would be useless and presumptuous on my part to
praise your portraits..." -Sergei Dovlatov, author

"Terrific portraits..." -Derek Walcott, poet, Nobel Prize Laureate

PORTRAITS

                                                              ...One
shouldn't expect a film shot in the dark to
                                                            develop new
images. Of course not. Still, one can
                                                            reproach a film
shot in the daylight of one's life for
                                                            missing frames.

Joseph Brodsky "In a Room and a Half"*

1. Czeslaw Milosz
    Poet, Nobel Prize Laureate
2. Andrei Sakharov
    Physicist, human right advocate, Nobel Prize Laureate
3. Joseph Brodsky
    Poet, Nobel Prize Laureate
4. Father Gleb Yakunin
    Member of Russian Parliament, former political prisoner
5. Richard Wilbur
    Poet, Pulitzer Prize Laureate
6. Vaclav Havel
    Playwright, former political prisoner, President of Czech Republic
7. Werner Herzog
    Film director
8. Jeane J. Kirkpatrick
    Political scientist, diplomat
9. Israel (Cachao) Lopez
    Composer, instrumentalist
10. Leonard Michaels
      Author
11. Dusan Makavejev
      Film director
12. Ida Nappelbaum
      Poet, former political prisoner
13. Randy Newman
      Composer, instrumentalist
14. Manoel de Oliveira
      Film director
15. Joyce Carol Oates
      Author
16. Sally Potter
      Film director
17. Sebastiao Salgado
      Photographer
18. Rick Wakeman
      Composer, instrumentalist
19. Michelangelo Antonioni
      Film director
20. Richard Avedon
      Photographer
21. Margaret Atwood
      Author
22. Alan Cranston
      Senator
23. Andy Garcia
      Actor
24. Allen Ginsberg
      Poet
25. Eduardo Galeano
      Author
26. Olga Andreyev-Carlisle
      Artist, journalist, author
27. David Samoilov
      Poet
28. Anatoly Sobchak
      Mayor of St.Petersburg, Russia
29. Veniamin Kaverin
      Author
30. Viktor Nekrasov
      Journalist, author
31. Vladimir Maximov
      Journalist, author
32. Vasily Aksionov
      Author
33. Sergei Dovlatov
      Journalist, author
34. Samuil Lurie
      Literary critic, author
35. Boris Strugatsky
      Author
36. Yury Nagibin
      Author
37. Andrei Siniavsky
      Literary scholar, author, former political prisoner
38. Andrei Tarkovsky
      Film director
39. Alexander Askoldov
      Film director
40. Alexander Sokurov
      Film director
41. Alexander Kushner
      Poet
42. Bella Akhmadulina
      Poet
43. Vladimir Ufliand
      Poet
44. Evgeny Rein
      Poet
45. Anatoly Naiman
      Poet
46. Vladimir Bukovsky
      Human rights advocate, author, former political prisoner
      Joan Baez
      Composer, vocalist, human rights advocate
47. Alek Rapoport
      Artist
48. Maia Turovskaia
      Film  historian
49. Dmitrii Likhachev
      Literary scholar, former political prisoner
50. Mikhail Zhvanetsky
      Author, stand up comedian
51. Otar Iosseliani
      Film director
52. Alfred Eisenstaedt
      Photographer
53. Yakov Gordin
      Journalist, author
54. W.S. Merwin
      Poet, Pulitzer Prize Laureate
55. Henri Cartier-Bresson
      Photographer
56. Yury Alexandrov
      Artist
57. Bulat Okudzhava
      Poet, compozer, author
58. Michael Chemiakin
      Artist
59. Philip Kaufman
      Film director
60. Adam Hochschild
      Journalist
61. Derek Walcott
      Poet, playwright, Nobel Prize Laureate
__________________
* Quoted from: Joseph Brodsky. Less Than One. New York: Farrar, Straus &
Giroux, 1986.

ABOUT THE AUTHOR

Mikhail Lemkhin
1811 38 Ave., San Francisco, CA 94122;  ph. (415) 664-7677

        Mikhail Lemkhin, born in 1949 in Leningrad, USSR (now
St.Petersburg, Russia), emigrated to the United States in 1983, leaving
behind a twenty-year career in photography and journalism. Given his first
camera at the age of seven, Lemkhin thought of himself as a photographer
since he was eight. His first national recognition came in 1964, when his
photographs were published in "Sovetskoe Foto", followed the next year by
an article on him featuring his photographs.
        Lemkhin attended Leningrad University, 1967-1973, and received M.A.
in journalism and photojournalism. While at the university, he worked as a
photographer for university departments and for the university newspaper.
After receiving his degree, Lemkhin worked as a free-lance and staff
journalist and photographer for various Leningrad newspapers and
publications. He also worked as an advertising photographer for the
Graphics Arts Agency (an agency of the Union of Soviet Artists), for which
he produced more than 20 books.
        Lemkhin began making portraits of Russian cultural figures when he
was in his teens. Since coming to the United States, he has conceived this
as a book-length project, (tentatively called "Survival Of The Soul: The
Faces From Russian Cultural Life"), featuring portraits of about 150
persons: poets, artists, filmmakers, dissident political figures,
journalists - each with a text about subject.
        Besides this project, Lemkhin made many portraits of Western
cultural figures, including Derek Walcott, Czeslaw Milosz, Randy Newman,
Michelangelo Antonioni, Allen Ginsberg, Israel Lopez, Joseph Mankiewicz,
Eduardo Galeano, Dizzy Gillespie and others.
        His photographs appeared in American and European periodicals
including The Christian Science Monitor, San Francisco Chronicle, Nikon
News, Boston Globe, Moscow News, Literaturnaia Gazeta, Ogoniok and many
others. Since emigrating from the Soviet Union Mikhail Lemkhin has
published more than three hundred literary pieces, and almost four hundred
pieces of photography work.
        Throughout his career Mikhail Lemkhin participated in more than 30
photography exhibitions including 14 personal exhibitions. His photographs
are being held in private collections of Michelangelo Antonioni (Rome),
Vaclav Havel (Prague), Nobel laureate Joseph Brodsky (New York), Nobel
laureate Derek Walkott (Trinidad), Olga and Henry Carlisle (San Francisco),
Dusan Makavejev (Paris), Elliott and Rhoda Levinthal (Palo Alto), Richard
Salzman (San Fransisco), Manoel de Oliveira (Lisbon), Otar Iosseliani
(Paris), Vasiliy Livanov (Moscow), Maria and Andrei Sinyavsky (Paris),
Philip Kaufman (San Francisco), Michael Kaganovich (Philadelphia), Charles
Junkerman (Stanford), in collection of University of California at Berkeley
(Pacific Film Archive), in collection of San Francisco Film Society, in
collection of San Jose State University (School of Humanities and the
Arts). Large collection of his photographs was purchased by Stanford
University (Green Library).
        Mikhail Lemkhin is a member of The International P.E.N. Club and
National Press Photographers Association. In November 1989 and in August
1992 Lemkhin won the International Photographer Magazine Award.