Slavic linguistics

Bill Derbyshire wwd at u.washington.edu
Tue Apr 18 20:26:01 UTC 1995

On Tue, 18 Apr 1995, Charlotte Wallace wrote:

> This is well stated.  I would, however, beg to differ with the job
> opportunities for undergraduates in the field.  They are more diverse and
> interesting that ever.

        I agree with Charlotte. Corin does make a number of good points,
but one thing must be taken into consideration: while it is true that
Slavic linguists are having a hard time finding jobs at this time, the
situation will change. People of my generation are retiring or already
retired. Even though some will not be replaced, my guess is that the
majority will be replaced in some form or another. There has been a lively
debate about this on SEELANGS (started in part by my appeal to colleagues
around the country to write letters in support of UW's Slavic Dept.)
        It is true that future Slavic linguists will need to plan
carefully in terms of coursework (perhaps more in General Linguistics and/or
language pedagogy), but they should not throw up their hands in despair.
They need to seek the advice of senior people in the field who have a
good overview of what has been happening and what is likely to happen.
                        Bill Derbyshire