translation needed

Gene Shennikov interggs at ix.netcom.com
Fri Apr 21 05:54:45 UTC 1995

You wrote:

>Dear subscribers,
>
>I am struggling with the Russian expression "ne vse kotu maslenica".
>Dal' (Tolkovyj slovar') specifies: "ne vse v izbytke zhit'". How do
>you say that in English? Is there an equivalent which has the same
>`wintery aura' as the Russian expression?
>
>Thanks in advance
>
>Otto Boele,
>
>University of Groningen (The Netherlands)

This is a part of expression
"Ne vse kotu maslenica, pridet i velikii post "
which means good things don't last for ever.

"Maslenica" means Pancake week before Lent(seven weeks before Easter);
"Post" means Lent (fast(ing))

Gene Shennikov                          InterGGS, Inc.

2217 Harbor Blvd,#E5                    tel. 714/548-3635
Costa Mesa, CA 92627                    fax. 714/650-3203
Products: Russian-English-Russian Dictionary for Windows $29.99
Russian-English notepad for Windows
(KOI-8,MAC and CP 1251 formats)                          $25.00