Russian Satellite Programming: 18 hours/day

George Mitrevski mitrege at mail.auburn.edu
Fri Apr 28 16:02:30 UTC 1995

Dear SEELANG-ers:

Auburn University has a receiving system for Russian programming from the
Gorizont satellite, and apparently we are in a geographic position to
receive the best reception in the country. The SCOLA Russian feed actually
comes from Auburn. We have been contacted by several universities that are
interested in receiving the entire (18 hours/day) programming. We have the
necessary equipment/earth station to do that, that is, to uplink the
programming to an American satellite so that it can be picked up with a
simple dish, same as you pick up SCOLA. I have been asked to send out a
"feeler" to see if there are enough institutions around the country that
would be interested in getting the entire 18 hours of programming, and to
get an idea of how much universities would be willing to pay for such a
service. There would have to be enough institutions subscribing to the
service to justify renting a satellite channel.

I would like to ask you to consider this option for your institution, and
to send me any ideas that you may have to make this project a reality.

Cordially,

George Mitrevski

Dr. George Mitrevski                    office: 334-844-6376
Foreign Languages                          fax: 334-844-6378
8030 Haley Center                         home: 334-887-2917
Auburn University                       e-mail: mitrege at mail.auburn.edu
Auburn, AL 36849-5204