Ukrainian and Russian Folklore

Harold D. Baker hdbaker at uci.edu
Wed Aug 16 19:45:13 UTC 1995

I am translating an article which deals in part with Ukrainian and Russian
folklore and am unable to identify the following items. Does anyone
recognize these? **Please do not respond to the list but rather to me
personally at hdbaker at uci.edu as I think this is not of general interest.**

1. "Igra v besedke" (mentioned in connection with Gogol's "Maiskaia noch'")
2. From Ukrainian or Russian folk (agrarian) poetry: "sam milyi Gospod'
volika gonit, prechistaia Deva estochki nosit, a sviatoi Petro za plugom
khodit."
3. Ukrainian "pivorezy" (wandering clerical poets?)
4. Autobiography of Il'ia Turchanovs'kyi (Ukrainian picaresque novel)
5. "Khozdozad" and "Vidopliasov" (names of fictional or folkloric characters?)

Thanks very much for looking at this.

Harold D. "Biff" Baker
Program in Russian, HH156
University of California, Irvine