translation request from Bellcore

Murray F Spiegel spiegel at thumper.bellcore.com
Fri Dec 1 14:20:59 UTC 1995

Emily Tall of SUNY/Buffalo suggested my recent request for translators
of lesser-used languages had something to do with a paying client for
the company I work for (Bellcore), and that anyone offering help
should charge a fee.

My description of the project was not misleading.
It is an international cross-cultural linguistics project,
and is a private, non-profit effort.  We will make our translations
available to linguists and researchers with cross-cultural interests
via a privately published booklet and via our resources on
the Internet.  Our interest is in collection and dissemination.
It is difficult to predict all the uses these translations will provide,
as evidenced by the variety of people who have already expressed interest
in our project.

We are unfunded.  We pursue these translations solely on our
own time because of our love of languages in general and the project
in particular.  We can not offer any major remuneration for expenses.
(However, we do provide cassettes and postage for mailings, if desired.)
We've relied on the good graces of others,  and we've been pleasantly
rewarded so far.

The text has minor religious connotations, which is why it was selected.
Our project collects both translations and audio renditions;
we now have over 70 different languages.    Believe me, there is
little commercial applicability of these translations.

I would like to encourage all who considered responding to do so,
and would like to thank all who have volunteered already.

If you are interested and would either like to see the original request,
or would like additional information, please contact me.  Remember that
I'm not subscribed to SEELANGS, so please reply directly to my address
below.

I am sorry for any misimpressions my request may have made.

Murray Spiegel
spiegel at bellcore.com