request from bellcore

Randolph J. Herber herber at dcdrjh.fnal.gov
Fri Dec 1 18:23:07 UTC 1995

The following header lines retained to affect attribution:
|Date: Thu, 30 Nov 1995 20:16:22 -0500
|From: Emily Tall <MLLEMILY at ubvms.cc.buffalo.edu>
|Subject: request from bellcore

|A recent request from Bellcore, a division of Bell Labs (or something
|like that) asked for some recordings and/or translations. Before any
|good-natured seelangers respond, keep in mind that Bellcore probably
|wants to use this to make some money. They probably have a client for
|whom they are putting together some language-related system. This
|advice was received from a former employee of Bell Labs. If anyone
|is interested in responding to these commercial inquiries, they should
|charge a fee!!! Emily Tall SUNY/Buffalo

Pre 1984 and the Modified Final Judgement that broke up AT&T (THE Phone
Company, there was no Bellcore.

After that time, AT&T became a long distance carrier and equipment provider,
keeping Bell Labs (the research laboratory), Network Systems (the engineering
group), and Western Electric (the manufacturing component).  The local
telephone service was divided into 7 (R)egional (B)asic (O)operating
(C)ompanies, e.g. Bell Atlantic, Bell South, US West, Ameritech, Pac Bell,
Nynex, and I can not remember, off hand, the other one's name.

The RBOCs developed their own engineering and manufacturing capacities,
either in house or by out-sourcing.  But the RBOCs together needed a common
research laboratory.  That common research laboratory is Bellcore.

Bellcore is not part of AT&T nor Bell Labs; and, has to be that way because
of the MFJ.

I do agree with the observation to charge a fee.

Randolph J. Herber, herber at dcdrjh.fnal.gov, +1 708 840 2966, CD/HQ CDF-PK-149O
(Speaking for myself and not for US, US DOE, FNAL nor URA.)
(Product, trade, or service marks herein belong to their respective owners.)
N 41.84079 W 88.24860 approximately.