Transit info: O'Hare (or Midway) to Palmer House Hilton

Randolph J. Herber herber at dcdrjh.fnal.gov
Mon Dec 11 22:35:36 UTC 1995

The following header lines retained to affect attribution:
|Date: Mon, 11 Dec 1995 16:57:34 -0500 (EST)
|From: "Loren A. Billings" <BILLINGS at PUCC.BITNET>
|Subject: Transit info:  O'Hare (or Midway) to Palmer House Hilton

|I (and, I'm sure, others), would appreciate info on how to get from O'Hare
|Airport to the AATSEEL-conference hotel.  Inexpensively, that is.

|I know that there's a train called CTA (Chicago-to-Airport) that runs into
|downtown Chicago.  Could someone else give convenient directions onwards to
|the Palmer Place Hilton?

The telephone number for Chicago Transit Authority information is:
+1 312 836 7000.  The rapid transit from O'Hare Airport to the Chicago
central business district (also known as The Loop (for the rapid transit
loop that encloses it)) is a 7 day a week, 24 hours a day operation with
varying train frequency depending on expected demand.  The fare is $1.50
the last I checked.

I called the CTA information to verify the stop and distance to the hotel.

For your proposed trip, take the O'Hare train from the basement of the
parking garage (anyone on the airport staff ought to be able to direct
you to it)(it is convenient to the baggage areas of the domestic airlines).
Ride to the Monroe/Dearborn stop.  Go up to the street level.  Walk about
one-half block east.  You should be at the Palmer House.

This route is a fixed fare for licensed taxi-cabs and is about $25.00.

There are also shuttle buses that will drop you at the hotels that cost
about $10.00.

|You might as well write back to the list, since this is of some general
|interest (to those of us without bottomless expense accounts).

|Best,  --Loren BIllings (billings at mailer.fsu.edu)

Randolph J. Herber, herber at dcdrjh.fnal.gov, +1 708 840 2966, CD/HQ CDF-PK-149O
(Speaking for myself and not for US, US DOE, FNAL nor URA.)
(Product, trade, or service marks herein belong to their respective owners.)
N 41.84079 W 88.24860 approximately.