Siberian BAM Railway Guidebook

Robert Beard rbeard at bucknell.edu
Sat Dec 16 14:17:52 UTC 1995

     I for one resent the recent use of SEELANGS to publish a commercial
advertisement for Athol Yates' book on Siberian railroads.  All other lists
to which I'm a party is very careful to keep commercial advertising off
their lists and I think that SEELANGS would be well-advised to keep the door
closed, too.  There are thousands of companies out there just panting to
misuse academic InterNet for their purposes, just as they have newspapers
and the telephone.

     Announcements of books related to Russian-language teaching in anyway
are certainly in order.  Those of us who are interested may then contact the
publisher for commercial advertisements if we want them.  Advertisements
with bulleted features lists from the commercial publisher himmerself,
however, should not be. Indeed, there may in fact even be legal implications
in accepting this advertisement and rejecting others in the future.

     If this response makes it to the list, what say you all?

Robert Beard                              Bucknell University
Russian & Linguistics Programs            Lewisburg, PA 17837
rbeard at bucknell.edu                              717-524-1336
Russian Program   http://www.bucknell.edu/departments/russian
Morphology on Internet        http://www.bucknell.edu/~rbeard