SEELANGS Administrivia - Advertising on the list

Alex Rudd AHRJJ at CUNYVM.BITNET
Wed Dec 27 06:47:42 UTC 1995

Dear SEELANGers,

I administer two other very active LISTSERV lists, and on each I've
found it necessary to dictate list policy pertaining to advertising.
When the topic was raised here on SEELANGS, I sat back to watch,
knowing that the bright and capable minds among you would undoubtedly
hash out the important issues and reach some conclusions, albeit
perhaps not consensus.  As I see it, that's precisely what happened.

I try not to meddle too much with SEELANGS these days, because I
consider myself more a caretaker than a list owner here.  Still,
for what it's worth, here's the "official" position with respect to
advertising on this list:

Advertising is discouraged on SEELANGS.  However, if the product
being advertised is relevant to the mission of this list it is
permitted under the following conditions:

The ad will:

  o briefly identify the company

  o briefly describe the product(s)

  o NOT contain any price information or dollar amounts

  o request that any interested parties contact the poster
    directly for further information

  o contain the poster's contact information

  o NOT be more than 60 lines of text

If anyone is considering posting something like this in the near
future and is uncertain as to what exactly would be appropriate
to include, feel free to address your post to:
seelangs-request at cunyvm.cuny.edu
and I'll review it before posting it to the list.

The above is policy on my other lists, but due to my lack of
time, I'm unable to insert it into the Welcome message sent out
to new subscribers.  In other words, I can state it on the list
as many times as you might want, but if someone joins the list
tomorrow and posts an ad, they won't have seen your discussion
or this post.

It might interest you to know that MANY people have tried to
spam SEELANGS over the course of the last several months.  But
because only subscribers may post, and because most spammers
don't bother subscribing to the lists they spam, none of them
made it to the list.  In other words, things could be a lot worse
than they are.

Happy holidays to all.

- Alex Rudd, list owner of SEELANGS
  seelangs-request at cunyvm.cuny.edu