First-year Russian language textbook "Golosa"

Randolph J. Herber herber at dcdrjh.fnal.gov
Fri Feb 10 17:40:28 UTC 1995

|---------------------- Information from the mail header -----------------------
|-------------------------------------------------------------------------------

|As a brief aside to Randolph Herber's valuable discussion:

        Thank you for this expression of your opinion.

|The English style in the example in the final section could be considerably
|improved before embarking on a translation into any language.

        I have noticed that English verb is actually quite complex.
        In fact, I have read several monographs, including some of
        book length, discussing the syntax and semantics of the
        English verb.  Also, I have noticed that most people that
        I attempt to communicate with use only a few forms of the
        English verb.  Some people that I have talked with seem to
        use only the simple past and present and their negated forms
        and have trouble with the simple future or its negated form.
        I am surprised by the number of people that seem to have
        trouble with negated verbs.  I have learned and am dismayed by
        how few people understand subjunctive forms which I find quite
        useful.  In the sense that to communicate with such people I
        ought to simplify my English style to meet their needs, I
        accept your implied criticism.

        I only occasionally use such complex forms as were in my
        example in either conversation or in writing.

        I built that example for the purpose of asking how such
        English verb forms could be translated accurately into
        Russian and not for the purpose of asking how the English
        could be simplified to make translation easier.

Randolph J. Herber, herber at dcdrjh.fnal.gov, +1 708 840 2966, CD/HQ
(Speaking for myself and not for US, US DOE, FNAL nor URA.)
(Product, trade, or service marks herein belong to their respective owners.)