student preparation and testing for study in Russia

David J Birnbaum djbpitt+ at pitt.edu
Tue Feb 14 18:01:05 UTC 1995

Dear Colleagues,

A couple of weeks ago I posted an inquiry about how you all prepare
students to participate in study programs in Russia. I worded this badly,
because most of the responses I've received address orientation issues,
while what I was actually looking for was _linguistic_ preparation and
testing.

So, to try again: What level or type of linguistic performance or
knowledge do you require of students to participate in study programs in
Russia, how do you get them to that level, how do you verify their level
before admitting them to the program, and how do you evaluate their
linguistic progress when they return?

For what it's worth, our policy at Pitt had generally been to recommend
students for study-abroad programs only after they had completed our
third-year Russian language courses. But students run into scheduling
problems and other limitations that often mean that if they are to go at
all, it will not be after completing three years. We advise them not to go
too early, but they don't always solicit or follow our advice, and we find
ourselves sending more and more younger students. There are, after all,
high school exchange programs, although perhaps what the students pick up
when they go at an elementary stage is cultural, but not much linguistic,
knowledge.

In any case, sorry for the lack of clarity in my original posting. My
focus at the moment is specifically on _linguistic_ preparation and
evaluation. I have read The NFLC report, but I'd also like some anecdotal
evidence.

Thanks,

David
Professor David J. Birnbaum      djbpitt+ at pitt.edu
The Royal York Apartments, #802  http://www.pitt.edu/~djbpitt/
3955 Bigelow Boulevard           voice: 1-412-624-5712
Pittsburgh, PA  15213  USA       fax:   1-412-624-9714