Russian Switzerland

Adrian Wanner aw6 at mail.evansville.edu
Thu Feb 16 19:48:03 UTC 1995

On Thu, 16 Feb 1995, Boris Rogosin wrote:

> Are there interesting Russian sights--or places related to Russian
> history--in Geneva or Zurich?  Are there any Russian communities?
> I'm preparing plans for a group that will be going to Switzerland
> very soon and would be very much appreciate any and all help .
> Thank you.
>

> Boris Rogosin
> rogosin at alpha.fdu.edu

In Zurich, you might want to take a look at the house where Lenin lived
before 1917.  It is located at Spiegelgasse and mrked with a
'memorial'naia doska." The "Pinkus" bookstore in Froschaugasse contains a
section with Russian books. The "Slavisches Seminar" of Zurich University
(from which, incidentally, I graduated) is located at Plattenstrasse 42.
They might be able to help you with finding Russian residents of Zurich.
The "Slavisches seminar" also contains an interesting library, the
"Russkaia Biblioteka v Tsiurikhe," which was put together by former Swiss
residents of Russia who had to leave the country after the revolution. In
the early 1980s when I was a student there some of thoses people were
still around.There is also a Russian Orthodox Church in Zurich located in
a basement in Sonneggstrasse (near the Uhiversity). As for Geneva, I am
less well informed, but I know that there is a Russian Orthodox Church
there as well, and the "Librairie Rousseau" specializes in Russian
books.  Have a good trip!\
Adrian Wanner (aw6 at evansville.edu)