Flowers?

Leslie J. Dorfman serapion at umich.edu
Fri Feb 17 17:55:04 UTC 1995

I have run into this a lot; in fact, I learned about the tradition when a
Russian entered my dorm room, saw two flowers on the table, and asked me
who had died.  As I understand it, one should only bring an even number of
flowers to someone in mourning.   When I have brought flowers to various
people, I have seen them carefully count to make sure the number was odd.
Since that first experience, however, I have been very careful.

I'm curious too.  Does anyone know the origin of the convention?

Leslie Dorfman
University of Michigan (Candidate)
serapion at umich.edu