Zheltyi tsvet

Andrey Ustinov austinov at LELAND.STANFORD.EDU
Sat Feb 18 23:05:17 UTC 1995

>Yellow flowers, especially yellow roses, should not be given unless you
>mean to terminate a relationship -- they are "separation" (razluka).

This is not correct. There is no specific taboo for any palette of flowers,
just for some particular kinds, but it was established in the Soviet time:
like red carnations is a flower of revolution (Rot Front, etc.) or white
kally (I do not know a name in English) were official flowers for meetings
or gatherings. As for yellow it is not for separation, it can be vice
versa, like in "Master and Margarita".