Age of L2 learning

Lisa Frumkes frumkes at u.washington.edu
Tue Feb 28 20:00:00 UTC 1995

Here at the Language Learning Center at the University of Washington
we're looking for general information about the age at which children
outside the U.S. begin learning a second language.

Information about any country is welcome; information about countries more
directly related to this list (Eastern European, Slavic) are especially
appreciated.

The questions we are addressing are:

1) In standard schools in that country, at what age do children begin
study of a second language?

2) Which language do they study (English, German, Russian, etc.)?

We hope to use this information as part of a report for the State of
Washington.  The question is whether learning a foreign language should be
a mandatory part of K-12 education, and at what age such education should
begin.

Please send replies directly to Lisa Frumkes (frumkes at u.washington.edu).
I will post a summary to the list if there is sufficient interest.

Thank you in advance for your help!  I hope this information request is
not too far removed from the interests of this list--after all, we are
language teachers!

Lisa Frumkes
(frumkes at u.washington.edu)
Slavic Staff Associate