Censored Authors....and New Editions for Old.

Andrew Mich a.mich at trl.oz.au
Wed Jan 11 03:54:03 UTC 1995

I was wondering if the rapid political/social changes since the end of the
USSR have lead to the censorship of many writers being withdrawn?

I am also quite interested to find out about Western
writers being published in Russian. E.g., it took many years
in the West for D. H. Lawrence's "Lady Chatterly's Lover" to get openly
published. Has there ever been a Russian edition of this book?

I am also wondering if new editions of the works of previously
censored writers are being made available. For example, the collected short
stories of Isaac Babel first appeared (as far as I can discover)
in an English translation in the mid-1950's. This translation would have been
based on the Russian edition published in his lifetime, which was probably
 subject
to censorship. New editions of Babel's writings have probably appeared in
recent years, but are they widely available?

My apologies if this is a frequently asked question on this list.

Andrew Mich
a.mich at trl.oz.au