ABSEES Online

Patt Leonard ABSEES (by way of hruil@alf.uib.no (Ingunn Lunde)) absees at UX1.CSO.UIUC.EDU
Wed Jan 11 15:05:42 UTC 1995

To:   Scholars interested in Slavic areas studies and databases
From: Patt Leonard, Managing Editor of ABSEES
Re:   Improving ABSEES Online -- We want your opinions

Some of you are familiar with the American Bibliography of Slavic and
East European Studies (ABSEES) and its electronic version, ABSEES Online.

ABSEES is published under the auspices of the American Association for the
Advancement of Slavic Studies, and has appeared in annual printed editions
since 1957.  ABSEES includes citations for books, book chapters, book
reviews, journal articles, dissertations, etc., that are published in
North America.  When the compilation of the Bibliography came here, to the
University of Illinois at Urbana-Champaign, in 1991, ABSEES Online was
created, and it contains the citations from the late 1980s to the present.

To access ABSEES Online, telnet to our host computer (alexia.lis.uiuc.edu
or 127.174.4.10), log on as "absees" with the password "slavibib".  Then
follow the directions on the screen.

            telnet alexia.lis.uiuc.edu
            login: absees
            Password: slavibib

If for some reason you cannot make a direct telnet connect to ABSEES
Online, you may send your query to me, and I can search the database and
send a copy of the results to you via e-mail.

The ABSEES Online interface allows users to make comments at the end of
their search sessions.  In the coming weeks, Rebecca Routh (our Assistant
Editor) and I will be looking closely at the user comments that we have
received, with the aim of refining the ABSEES Online interface and making
it easier to use.  Please take a look at ABSEES Online and let us know
what you think could be done to make the interface easier or more
intuitive for you to use.  We are also interested in your opinion of the
online help.  We appreciate your feedback, because we are always looking
for ways to improve our service.  Thank you!

                                        Patt Leonard
Managing Editor
American Bibliography of Slavic and East European Studies (ABSEES)

personal e-mail: leonard at alexia.lis.uiuc.edu
business e-mail: absees at ux1.cso.uiuc.edu