news about the 1995 Annual meeting (Chicago)

David J Birnbaum djbpitt+ at pitt.edu
Wed Jan 18 16:29:43 UTC 1995

Dear Colleages,

I would like to thank all the members of AATSEEL who helped to make the
1994 San Diego conference such a success, and I look forward to seeing
you all again in Chicago in 1995.

AATSEEL joins the Internet: In addition to the published Calls for Papers
that will appear in the Feburary newsletter, an up-to-date list of all
panels, as well as copies of all conference-related forms and memoranda,
will be available continuously by anonymous ftp at ftp.pitt.edu in the
dept/slavic/aatseel/ directory. These same materials, as well as an html
listing of all panels, will be available continuously on the World Wide
Web at http://www.pitt.edu/~djbpitt/slavic.html.

To Propose a Panel: If I did not receive Panel Declaration Form for your
panel by 15 January, it has not been included in the Call for Papers in
the February newsletter. Don't panic; a second Call for Papers, listing
panels declared between 15 January and 1 March, will be published in the
April newsletter. Please contact the appropriate division head if you wish
to propose a new panel.

For Panel Chairs: Once your panel has been accepted, your division head
will send you a Panel Roster form. Please return this directly to me
(not the division head!) so that I receive it by 15 April. Because many
members may read a paper at one panel and serve as chair or secretary at
another, I must have all Panel Rosters in hand by 15 April so that I can
check for scheduling conflicts. Several members in San Diego expressed a
desire for a later deadline, and we will be examining ways to arrange
for this for the 1996 conference, but for 1995 I am afraid that we will
have to retain last year's mid-April deadline, and I appreciate your
cooperation in meeting it.

Equipment Requirements: We will be able to honor requests for
audio-visual and other special equipment that I receive by 15 March. I
will try to accommodate later requests, but this may not always be
possible, so please reserve early. Equipment costs are extremely high
and are assessed by the day, and hotel policy requires that we rent from
them, rather than bring our own. We set this early deadline so that we
can schedule all panels with equipment requirements for the same room on
the same day.

For Participants: If you wish to give a paper or serve as a discussant,
please contact the appropriate panel chair, as listed in the Call for
Papers. If no panel seems right for your paper, you may either propose a
new panel (see above) or contact the appropriate division head, who will
help you find a suitable panel for your paper.

I look forward to seeing you all in Chicago.
Professor David J. Birnbaum      djbpitt+ at pitt.edu
The Royal York Apartments, #802  http://www.pitt.edu/~djbpitt/
3955 Bigelow Boulevard           voice: 1-412-624-5712
Pittsburgh, PA  15213  USA       fax:   1-412-624-9714