Another query

Loren A. Billings BILLINGS at PUCC.BITNET
Thu Jul 13 04:37:55 UTC 1995

Dear colleagues:
In connection with my last query, I'd like to find out from the native
speakers of Russian out there how to say the following:

1.  'Approximately four people/persons stood in front of the _kassa_.'

2.  'I stood near four people/persons under a small tree.'

Please use _okolo_ in both.  I know that _vozle_ might be preferrable in
the first sentence and a number of mechanisms might be acceptable, even
preferrable to _okolo_ in the second one.  Try NOT to use inversion.
Note that there is no approximation in the second example, only in the first.

If you are not a native speaker I would nonetheless appreciate your
assistance in finding out judgments from those you know or work with.
As usual, I will post a summary.  Please write to me directly (billings@
princeton.edu or billings at pucc.bitnet).  Thank you.  --Loren Billings