Scholarly publishing

Beard Robert E rbeard at coral.bucknell.edu
Thu Mar 2 22:16:17 UTC 1995

     Chuck Gribble points out the difficulties in publishing books in
literaty criticism and in Slavic linguistics.  It is a long-standing
problem, not a new one.  University and individual subsidies were the
solution to that problem.  The real problem is, as Chuck rightly notes,
that subsidies are subsiding under pressure from those who think
research, too, can be economically efficient.
     I can only wonder what the purpose is in publishing a book which is
only going to sell a few hundred copies, given current technology.
On-line internet journals already exist in some disciplines and CD-Roms
are capable of holding several books and can be manufactured profitably
for about $5 aside from set-up costs.  Indeed, CD-Rom recorders are
available for under $2,000 now.  In addition to the savings in cost, CDs
can accomodate color illustrations, sound, even motion pictures.  And for
those who want hard copies, the text can always be run off on a PS printer
and bound in a Perfect binding at a reasonable cost.  After all, the
volumes currently on shelves have for years been in the process of being
reduced to more compact formats. ATQ0V1E1S0=0
ATDT524-3636

     I suspect that we are simply between formats and that eventually
more rather than fewer arcane topics will find their way in "print".
Some publishers are already gearing up for the change. I think they're
wise.

                 --Bob