Bel-Russian

Edward M Dumanis dumanis at acsu.buffalo.edu
Thu Mar 2 22:58:21 UTC 1995

On Thu, 2 Mar 1995, Mogens Jensen wrote:

> Could anyone inform of the correct spelling of Belorussia - is it
> Belarussia? - And further: is the cyrillic ery ("bI") and the cyrillic i
> (revert "N") used in Belurussian? Thank you. Mogens Jensen.

1. There are several speling versions (Bel-u-russian is not among them,
and probably is a typo).
"lo" is used in the Russian version only.
Their Embassy uses "Republic of Belarus" as an official name.
In the letter that I received from them they spelled the adjective as
"Belarusian" with one "s."
"Byelorussian" was used in the NEW ENGLISH-RUSSIAN DICTIONARY by
I.R. Galperin.

2. There are  "i",  and "bI" on a fax that I received from their Embassy.
However, the quality of the fax does not allow me to come up with any
conclusion on "revert N".

I would suggest contact them directly to get more information.

Their address:

Embassy of the Republic of Belarus
Consular Division
1619 New Hampshire Ave., N.W.