Taking a VCR to Russia

Robin LaPasha ruslan at acpub.duke.edu
Sun Mar 5 16:11:48 UTC 1995

The thing to do seems to be to get a "multistandard" VCR.
They're much more expensive than a regular one, though. Perhaps
you can check with the folks who've asked you; if they wanted
_just_ PAL/SECAM (generally speaking, it would do for Europe
and Russia) that would probably be more economical for you, as
opposed to one with US and/or Japanese NTSC too.

Those I know who've purchased such things generally do it from
the New York photo/electronics shops.  I've heard of J & R
Photo and 47th Street Photo, but I make no recommendations regarding
them.  The Usenet shortwave newsgroups regularly remind readers to be
sure that any electronics purchased from these NYC stores is guaranteed:
        - new (and returnable if not);
        - with US warranty (i.e. not gray-market); and
        - supplied with all cables, appliances, and batteries which
normally come with the product (sometimes these get put as "options").

Good luck.

Robin LaPasha                            Soviet Literature Scanning Project
ruslan at raphael.acpub.duke.edu            Duke University