Russian word for "cognate"

Randolph J. Herber herber at dcdrjh.fnal.gov
Wed Mar 8 21:51:47 UTC 1995

|---------------------- Information from the mail header -----------------------
|-------------------------------------------------------------------------------

|Does anyone know the Russian word for "cognate"? Sorry to confess my
|ignorance but I can't get to the library. And please settle a dispute:
|is a cognate a word that has been borrowed and then Russified, as in
|"demagogia" or is that a borrowing? Please enlighten me--I am em-
|barrassed to put it on the screen, but...Emily Tall

Using `The Comprehensive English-Russian Scientific and Technical Dictionary',

        cognate  btkh  rodstvennyj, uznavaemyj

Using `Webster's New World Dictionary', abbreviated.

        1. related by family
        2. having the same nature or quality
        3. (Lunguistics) related through the same source

I feel that the answer to your question is: either.

Randolph J. Herber, herber at dcdrjh.fnal.gov, +1 708 840 2966, CD/HQ
(Speaking for myself and not for US, US DOE, FNAL nor URA.)
(Product, trade, or service marks herein belong to their respective owners.)