koi8

John Dingley jdingley at YorkU.CA
Thu Mar 9 01:21:16 UTC 1995

(Sorry about the typo in my first msg!)

I would like to thank all those who replied to my request for help about
using koi8 fonts on WWW.  My colleague, Doug Gardner, did the heavy
lifting and I am glad to report that we now have a very acceptable state
of affairs, which so far has been quite stable.  Below I am posting
Doug's account of how this was achieved.

John Dingley
jdingley at yorku.ca

--------------------
How to get use Russian WWW on the Mac.

(You must be using System 7.0 or later)

1. Get the latest version of MacWeb.
   This can be obtained at
     http://galaxy.einet.net/EINet/MacWeb/MacWebHome.html
                        These instructions apply only to MacWeb. It is also
possible to use Netscape Navigator version 1.1b1 and higher. For
information on using Netscape Navigator, consult
     http://www.pitt.edu/~mapst57/rus/mactcp.html

2. Get the True Type version of koi8
   This can be obtained at

http://hyperarchive.lcs.mit.edu/HyperArchive/Abstracts/font/HyperArchive.htm
   Look for "koi8v2.cpt.hqx" This is available at many other sites.

3. Put Koi8 in the Fonts folder which is in your System Folder.

4. Launch MacWeb.
   From the File menu, choose
   Preferences...
   Use the pull down menu to choose
   Format
   Set character translation to
   None
   Click on OK

   Next, from the Edit menu, choose
   Styles...
   Select Koi8 in the font menu
   Use the "Element" pull down menu to choose
   Stylistic, then Plaintext
   Again, Select Koi8 in the font menu
   Again, use the "Element" pull down menu to choose
   Stylistic, then Pre
   Again, Select Koi8 in the font menu
   Click on OK

Now you are ready to read Cyrillic and Latin text from web sites.
Here are a couple to try:

To see if it all worked, here's a site in Moscow
http://www.elvis.msk.su/koi8/home.html

For more help getting Russian on your Mac, including typing in Cyrillic, try
http://www.pitt.edu/~mapst57/rus/intro.html

Doug Gardner