Russian word for "cognate"

Don Livingston deljr at u.washington.edu
Sat Mar 11 18:55:28 UTC 1995

It seems many words at the very heart of linguistics have never received
clear definition, not just the word "language".  The word "word" has never
been defined to me in any of my linguistics classes.  Nominative _stol_
and genitive _stola_ -- are they the same word but with different
case-endings, or are they in fact different words?  Despite high-level
phonology courses, the word "syllable" has never been defined to my
satisfaction.  (Indeed recent data quite complicates the issue of what can
a "syllabic nucleus".) This is not so different, I suppose, than other
disciplines.  From algebra to geometry to calculus I never received a
proper definition for "point", yet we discussed points all the time and
seemed to get along quite decently without precise definition.  Yet it
somehow leaves one's mental constructs less satisfying than what one might
hope for.

All the best, Don.

Don Livingston                          (Graduate Student)
4500 Whitman Ave. North #2              Dept. Slav. Lang. & Lit., DP-32
Seattle, WA 98103                       University of Washington
Phone/Fax (206) 634-1539                Seattle, WA  98195