Computer Assisted Language Instruction

Stephany Gould slgould at students.wisc.edu
Tue Mar 14 16:32:06 UTC 1995

At the University of Wisconsin-Madison we use the Macintosh START program
for beginning Russian.  The program, developed here by Benjamin Rifkin,
teaches letters and simple words in a HyperCard-based program.  The
students can click on pictures of the letters or words to hear what they
sound like (native speakers provided the audio clips). An animated section
shows how the letters are written in cursive. There are also segments where
students can click on icons to get information on Russian culture.

The START program was put on the Macs in the computer lab in the language
building.  I don't think first-year students are required to work with the
program.  However, the program has gotten a good response from the students
because it adds an element of fun to beginning language acquisition.

Stephany Gould                                  Voice: (608) 243-7833
Slavic Languages and Literature                   Fax: (608) 265-2814
Univeristy of Wisconsin-Madison                slgould at students.wisc.edu
720 Van Hise
1220 Linden Drive
Madison, WI 53706