job opportunities

Keith Goeringer keg at violet.berkeley.edu
Fri Nov 3 03:16:54 UTC 1995

Dear SEELANGERs,

I think I may have unwittingly stumbled upon a plan that promotes the
preservation of Slavic departments, and the availability of jobs for
graduates of same, provided the grads have training in Serbian/Croatian.

This is from an article on the Bosnian peace talks taking place in Dayton,
OH, and is from the 11/1 San Francisco Chronicle.  In a section named
_About the peace talks_, there is a subsection called _The language
barrier_:

          "The room for the ceremony has a round table covered with a blue
cloth.  Microphones have
        already been placed on the table for participants.  Booths have
been installed for simultaneous
        translation <sic> into Russian, English and French, as well as
Serbo-Croatian, Bosnian and
        Croatian.
                Although each side in the conflict claims to have a
separate language, all three were
        considered to speak the same before Yugoslavia's breakup in 1991."

For Slavic departments to demonstrate increased enrollments, they simply
cook the books a bit -- instead of one lousy Croatian/Serbian course, offer
three or four:  Serbian, Croatian, Bosnian, and perhaps Hercegovinian.  A
student in one is a student in all -- but only the department knows that!
The beauty of this is, it works at all levels of instruction.  It could
take the university administration a while to realize how odd it is that
those three courses have had the exact same enrollment for the past x
years.  (By that time, maybe enrollments will have improved...)

For grads (both under- and grad students), the solution is clear.  Attain
fluency in Croatian/Serbian, and market yourself as someone who is fluent
in 3-4 "different" languages.  So what if there are a few lexical
differences here or there, or a different alphabet or something?

Just an idea...

(And my apologies to those on LINGUIST, who will see the same clipping when
it gets posted there.)

Keith

Keith Goeringer
UC Berkeley