Volkov et al and -ACKNOWLEDGMENT

Edward M Dumanis dumanis at acsu.buffalo.edu
Fri Nov 10 20:10:59 UTC 1995

On Wed, 8 Nov 1995, Jules Levin wrote:

> Regarding  Edward M Dumanis' defense of acknowledgements,
> I've often wondered about the connection between Pushkin's
> "voron k voronu letit..."
> and the Scots ballad "Twa Corbies..."
> The latter certainly seems like the inspiration for the former...
> Or does Pushkin acknowledge this and I'm just ignorant...?
> Jules Levin
> Department of Literatures and Languages
> University of California
> Riverside, CA  92521

1) Unfortunately, I am not familiar with "Twa Corbies..." but "Voron" is a
traditional image of Russian fair-tales.
2) Ethics standards certainly changed from the time of Shakespeare, and, I
think, from Pushkin's time as well.

By the way, somehow I believe in universal contemporary ethics standards,
but maybe I am wrong, and they just do not exist.  Then we should speak
about local standards at certain time.

Edward Dumanis <dumanis at acsu.buffalo.edu>