Volkov and the Wizard of OZ -ACKNOWLEDGMENT

Edward M Dumanis dumanis at acsu.buffalo.edu
Fri Nov 10 20:22:41 UTC 1995

On Wed, 8 Nov 1995, Anna Rakityanskaya wrote:

> I would like to testify on behalf of Russian readers of "Volshebnik
> Izumrudnogo goroda", its sequels, "Vinni-Pukh" and "Zolotoi kliuchik, ili
> prikliucheniia Buratino". All editions of these books in the USSR INCLUDED
> REFERENCES TO THE ORIGINAL WORKS.

Certainly, not all editions. Those that I saw did not have any references.

> As far as "Vinni-Pukh" is concerned it was always clear that it was Milne's
> work skillfully translated by Zakhoder, while "Volshebnik ..." and "Zolotoi
> kliuchik" were rather retells of "Wizard of Oz" and "Pinocchio" with a new
> ideological twist.
>
> I agree that "Volshebnik .." is much closer to "Wizard .. " than "Zolotoi
> kliuchik" to "Pinocchio". This by the way may be the reason why the very
> title "Wizard of Oz" was not known in Russia, while "Pinocchio" was fairly
> well known.

"Wizard of Oz" was published in Russia as well.  It was in English, and
published (it seems) by Progress.  So, those there who read English knew it.
"Pinocchio" was known, probably, because of an Italian movie that was on
there in the 70s.

Edward Dumanis <dumanis at acsu.buffalo.edu>