Russian Culture Resourcse on the Internet

George Mitrevski mitrege at mail.auburn.edu
Mon Nov 13 18:39:55 UTC 1995

One of the best places for resources on Russian Culture is:

http://www.bucknell.edu/departments/russian/material.html

To search for syllabi, or to add your own, try the World Lecture Hall page at

http://www.utexas.edu/world/lecture/

Depending on how fancy you want your pages to look, learning how to set up
a web page with HTML takes about one tenth the time it takes to learn how
to use e-mail. Once you have your text typed, you can put it on a web
server "as is" with no HTML codes. Getting access to a web server used to
be difficult, but no more. I don't know of a university that issues e-mail
addresses to its staff and students that does not provide access to a web
server. Setting up a web page on a web server at your university/college
can be very easy if someone can show you how. If no one is willing to show
you how, DEMAND that they do and complain to the highest authority! If you
still don't get any results, give me a call and I'll guide you through the
process over the phone.

Think of all the course materials we already have typed in our computers!
Wouldn't it be nice if we can all share each other's resources. With WWW
there is absolutely no reason not to. If I were a Dean I would make it
mandatory that anyone paid with public funds who produces anything in
electronic format that is of interest to the public should make it
accessible to the public. We owe it to our profession to share our
resources among ourselves and with our students.

Untill about two years ago, in our department we still had folks who
refused to use the duplicating machine and the fax machine because they
"didn't know how", untill they were told that no one else was going to do
the job for them. Until two months ago we still had 6 people who refused to
use e-mail because it was "too technical" for them, until the chairmain of
the department told them that that was the only way he would communicate
with the department: no more memos in  mailboxes!

Departments will promote the WWW among its faculty and students when they
have realized that it's not just the latest "fad", but a good way to
distribute and share information.

George Mitrevski

Dr. George Mitrevski                    office: 334-844-6376
Foreign Languages                          fax: 334-844-6378
6030 Haley Center                       e-mail: mitrege at mail.auburn.edu
Auburn University
Auburn, AL 36849-5204

Macedonian Information Almanac: http://www.auburn.edu/~mitrege/macedonia/